Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Plates

I heard a quote tonight that got me thinking and is really cool.

"We are the plates that serve the Bread of Life."

It's a really profound, yet simple thing. I am a plate that God uses to serve the living Bread to other people. Yes, sometimes it's dirty and He probably doesn't want to use it, but He still does. Our Middle School pastor, John Steen, told us that he does the dishes in his house. Sometimes when he doesn't get a chance to wash them that night, he does it in the morning. By then all the food, etc. on the plates has had a chance to dry and be crusted and layered on them. They're harder to wash. The same applies to us as Christians. When we don't deal with a matter that the Holy Spirit has laid upon us to deal with, the next morning it'll be harder to get rid of it. We have to deal with the junk in our lives as soon as He lays is on our hearts, or else it will be hard to get rid of. John also talked about "fine china". You usually only get that out to use it like once a decade or something like that. Then you have your everyday china. We don't need to be like the "fine china" as Christians...only used once a decade; we need to be like the everyday china, where God uses us everyday to serve the Bread of Life! This has challenged me. I hope it challenges you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good stuff. It reminds me of something I was just reading in a sermon by our last pastor at College Heights, Pastor Jeff.

He said, "Everything will pass away, and all that will last is that which we did in obedience to the Holy Spirit of God."

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never quite thought of us as plates before, but we certainly are! Your post definitely challenged me and made me think a little deeper...ahh the beauty of God.